The Fitting Shop was built in the early 1900s. It originally housed a gas purification plant.
In 1903 it was the scene of a massive gas explosion which all but demolished the building and did considerable damage to windows in the neighbourhood.
Sometime in the 1930's or 40's it was turned into a maintenance fitting shop, with equipment such as a large lathe, drill press, forge and welding bay.
In 2009 the Fitting Shop underwent a $1million restoration.